How to recover rent arrears from residential tenants

Insights / / Bristol

We often deal with landlords whose tenants have not paid any rent for a number of months. In some cases, landlords rely on this income to pay their own mortgages and recovering rent arrears is of great concern to them. 
We will explore in this article the different ways of recovering rent arrears from residential tenants.

Practical considerations

We always advise landlords to put together a detailed schedule of rent arrears before taking any action. Once we have been provided with this, one of the first things to consider is whether the tenant in question can afford to pay the outstanding rent. If the tenant does not have means to make payment, landlords will not be able to recover the unpaid rent even if a judge has ordered the tenant to pay.

Option 1: Giving notice to move out and bringing a claim to recover rent arrears

There are two types of notices that landlords can give to tenants before evicting them. The first one is a section 21 notice, which brings the tenancy to an end and is the quickest and cheapest way of gaining possession of a property. The second one is a section 8 notice, which also brings the tenancy to an end due to a breach of the tenancy agreement, e.g. unpaid rent, and it involves a longer and more costly process of gaining possession including a court hearing.

If the landlord serves a section 21 notice on the tenant, rent arrears will not be recovered as part of the possession claim. However, the landlord can bring a separate claim in the County Court to recover the outstanding sum. There is a court fee payable, which can vary depending on the value of the claim.

If, on the other hand, the landlord gives a section 8 notice, he will be able to recover possession of the property as well as rent arrears. The landlord seeking to evict the tenant and recover rent arrears would need to prove that they have grounds to evict the tenant. Rent arrears is one of the most common reasons for landlords to give a section 8 notice rather than a section 21 notice, however, the tenant needs to be at least 2 months (if rent is paid monthly) or 8 weeks (if rent is paid weekly) in arrears.

Many landlords opt to serve a section 21 notice to gain possession of their property, making possession a priority rather than recovering rent arrears, especially in cases where tenants are not likely to pay.

Option 2: Bringing a claim against the tenant

If the tenant has already moved out of the property, the landlord does not need to give the tenant any notice. Landlords who want to recover rent arrears will need to bring a claim in the County Court as explained above. It will be necessary to have a current address for the tenant.

What if the tenant does not pay?

Once a claim has been issued and judgement has been entered against the tenant, landlords will need to use one of the enforcement procedures available if the tenant does not pay.

There are different enforcement procedures and which one to use will depend on the circumstances and the tenant´s background. We will take these factors into account and advise on which one will be the most beneficial to use.

How can we help?

We can advise landlords on the options available to recover possession of their property and any rent arrears due. We will focus on the best cause of action and advise landlords on timescale and costs.

Related sectors:

Related news & insights

News / Cladding dispute comes to Court: “Everyone else was doing it”

05-08-2022 / Real Estate

Martlet Homes v. Mullaley and Co Ltd [2022] EWHC 1813 The Court has awarded a property owner damages for the defective design and installation of cladding. This is the first time the High Court has dealt with a dispute concerning cladding on a high rise building since the Grenfell Tower disaster.

Cladding dispute comes to Court: “Everyone else was doing it”

News / Are your partnership properties being managed properly?

02-08-2022 / Private Wealth, Real Estate

In a recent High Court case, Procter v Procter and others [2022] EWHC 1202, the dispute related to a periodic tenancy a landlord had with three sibling tenants, where one sibling retired from the partnership.

Are your partnership properties being managed properly?

News / Ince bolsters London property team

18-07-2022 / Real Estate

Ince is pleased to announce the appointment of Tim Foley, David Sutherland, and Sanna Mir to our London-based property team.

Ince bolsters London property team

Insights / Retention in construction contracts: a thing of the past?

02-02-2022 / Real Estate

Lord Aberdare’s Construction (Retentions Abolition) Bill 2021-22 (‘the Bill’) is the latest of a long string of attempts to drive legislative changes surrounding cash retention in the construction industry.

Retention in construction contracts: a thing of the past?

Insights / New requirement for developers and house builders to register with the New Homes Quality Board

13-01-2022 / Real Estate

On 17 December 2021, The New Homes Quality Board (NHQB) published its New Homes Quality Code. The Code aims to improve the quality of new-build homes and strengthen protection for buyers, spanning from initial sales steps to two years following a purchase.

New requirement for developers and house builders to register with the New Homes Quality Board