"With experience comes increasing ability to anticipate client needs and I try as much as possible to do this. In addition, I think clients appreciate lawyers who are empathetic and understanding; The technical skills are critically important but a more rounded approach is valuable today, in my view."
Stuart is a highly experienced asset finance lawyer, working mainly on complex, cross-border transactions in the shipping, offshore and energy industries. He has more than 30 years' experience advising clients in these industries and has worked during that time (as a partner) in London, Singapore and Paris. Stuart graduated from Aberystwyth University with honours in law in 1983. He qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales in 1986.
Early in his career, Stuart moved to Singapore and developed a practice in maritime finance, energy and commercial shipping. His clients include banks, shipowners, trading houses, energy companies and other participants involved in all aspects of the shipping and energy industries. Stuart spent a total of nearly 10 years working in Singapore and followed this by a spell of 7 years in Paris where he learnt to speak French and developed a Francophone client base. He returned to live in the UK in 2008 and continues to assist clients involved in complex, cross border transactions in his chosen industry areas. Many of Stuart's clients are active in the energy sector and in particular, gas/LNG. Lloyd's List recognises Stuart as one of the top ten maritime lawyers of 2018.
Professional associations & memberships
- Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion
What you may not know about Stuart
Despite Stuart’s Scottish name, he’s from Swansea and, predictably, loves rugby union, choral music and the Gower Peninsula! He also has a grandson who is half Australian but Stuart fervently hopes that one day he’ll play for Wales!
My matter highlights
- Advising the Dynagas Group (a specialist in the ownership and operation of high specification liquefied natural gas carriers) in its acquisition of five ARC 7 ice class LNG carriers to be constructed at DSME in South Korea and to be chartered, on a long term basis, to Yamal Trade Pte Limited.
- Advising the Dynagas Group on the long term charter of six ARC 4 LNG vessels to Yamal Trade Pte Ltd.
- Advising the Dynagas Group on a two ship construction project with Shipyards in Asia and Europe relating to the construction of ice-class condensate tankers to be chartered on a long term basis to Yamal Trade Pte Ltd.
- Advising a Japanese shipping company and a Japanese trading house, in relation to a transaction for the provision of up to two 180,000 M3 LNG vessels to a major European utility to enable the utility to transport LNG cargoes over a period of up to 25 years.
- Advising the Lenders in relation to the restructuring and related export-credit backed refinancing of a series of cruise ships, owned and operated by a European cruise line, involving a senior debt facility in excess of €1.1 billion and advising the same lenders on a related facility for €500 million in relation to the construction and post-delivery financing of a new cruise vessel for the same cruise operator.
- Advising the Lenders in relation to a senior, secured facility of up to US$1.1 billion in relation to the pre and post delivery financing of eight containerships, constructed for a major European liner company at an Asian shipyard.
- Advising the Lender in relation to a series of structured financings for a Mexican oil and gas services group relating to jack-up drilling rigs constructed at Chinese facilities.
- Assisting a major US based investment bank in relation to a number of export finance transactions involving aviation and offshore oil and gas assets for different counterparties.
- Advising a Japanese bank on the provision of post-delivery financing for two dry cargo ships under construction in Japan for a Scandinavian shipowner.
- Advising the Lenders/Lessors in relation to the senior debt and lease financing (in the aggregate sum of €550 million) of up to 150 solar power installations in Southern Europe providing an aggregate installed capacity of 125 MW.
My testimonials and accolades
Chambers and Partners UK, 2022
“He has a deep knowledge of shipping law.”
Chambers and Partners
“Stuart McAlpine always gives timely responses.”
Chambers and Partners
“He has a deep knowledge of shipping law.”
“is an experienced practitioner who focuses on ship finance work. His practice includes advising clients on cross-border financings of LNG vessels.
'He is a super smart lawyer.'”
“Stuart McAlpine has emerged as one of the go-to guys in lng shipping, having acted for a major tonnage provider to the Yamal LNG project. In addition, he has close relationships with Japanese LNG shipowners, closing a number of major deals for them in relation to both conventional tonnage and floating solutions for LNG.”
“He is well versed in the asset finance industry, and is highly esteemed for his commercial shipping and maritime finance work.”
“He provides an excellent service to us and we appreciate his commitment to our company and his strong commercial awareness.”
“Fantastic personal attention.”
“Stuart McAlpine provides ‘clear and sound advice’ to a range of shipping clients and has developed a particular area of strength within the LNG sector.”
“Very knowledgeable about the marine industry.”
My recent publications
News / The rise in climate change litigation: Royal Dutch Shell and beyond
15-07-2021 / Energy & Infrastructure
Climate change litigation is a growing trend, as the legal industry bears witness to a constant rise in claims brought against both governments and private corporations for either failing to prevent, or contributing to, harmful carbon emissions across the world.
News / Hague orders emissions cut: a brave new world for energy and beyond?
27-05-2021 / Energy & Infrastructure, Maritime
Insights / Marine Money panellists see buoyant 2021 for ship finance
12-02-2021 / Maritime
Ince’s Global Head of Marine Projects, Stuart McAlpine, chaired an engaging discussion on trends, products and pricing in shipping finance at this year’s London Virtual Marine Money Forum.
Insights / Marine Money ship finance forum in review
11-02-2021 / Maritime
In this short podcast, Global Head of Marine Projects at Ince and panel moderator, Stuart McAlpine, is joined by Managing Director of Smarine Advisors Norway AS and panel speaker, Thor Erling Kylstad, to reflect on the panel discussion and discuss some of their key takeaways and thoughts.
News / Ince strengthens global shipping team with the hire of Clyde & Co Partner, Stuart McAlpine
4 June 2020, London: International law firm Ince has today announced the appointment of Stuart McAlpine as Global Head of Marine Projects within the Marine team.