Chartered Trade Mark Attorney
T +44 20 7481 0010
Department Trademarks, IP, Designs, Copyright and Dispute Resolution Qualified England and Wales 2001 Education (University) Nottingham Trent University, Master in IP Litigation (LLM) Languages English
With nearly 30 years’ experience, specialising as a Trade Mark Attorney, Don is part of the Dispute Resolution team based in the firm’s London office. Don is qualified as a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney in England and Wales and in the EU (before Brexit). He advises on trade marks, designs, copyright and unregistered IP right issues on both contentious and non-contentious matters.
Don’s client base is diverse covering many of the firm’s sector specialisms as well as many others. His work includes conducting clearance searches for new and existing trade marks and registering trade marks to provide clients with the security of being able to safely use their marks and enforce them against third party infringers.
He also advises more widely on branding strategies and IP portfolio management in UK and internationally.
Don also advises in relation to contentious IP matters ranging from general policing of IP portfolios and potentially infringing actions through to contentious proceedings before the UK and EU registries, IPEC and Courts.
“I always start with the premise that every case can be resolved through sensible commercial negotiations with the view that there is always a win/win position if one searches hard enough for it”.
Professional associations and memberships
- Member of The Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA).
What you may not know about Donald
Don loves sport. He is happy to take part in and/or watch all sports. He has run seven marathons, played football for 30 years, played squash to a reasonable level and continues to play tennis and mountain bike weekly. He (and family) have raised over £30,000 for the Child Bereavement Charity.
My matter highlights
- Advising a large blue chip UK company in relation to a US$52 million claim made by a Uruguayan company.
- Advising the same large blue chip UK company on protecting and enforcing the company’s trade mark rights and preventing Petrobras, the Brazilian state owned Petroleum Company, from adopting an infringing brand in Brazil.
- Clearing a new car name globally for a major car company for an overnight launch.
- Successfully defending against a copyright claim made by a photographer with threat of high court proceedings.
- Advising a clothing company on a design right infringement action and negotiating a settlement to avoid high Court proceedings.