Department Maritime Law, Maritime Insurance and Yachts and Superyachts Qualified England and Wales 2009 Education (University) Kingston University LLB Law with French and French law . Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3 Languages English, French
Alex specialises in marine insurance law with a particular focus on personal injury.
Alex acts for insurers and P&I Clubs as well as private owners and operators in relation to claims involving merchant, fishing, passenger and pleasure vessels. His work also includes advising in connection with prosecutions brought by the MCA. In addition Alex handles a wide range of yacht related claims for private and insured clients and is highly experienced in investigating marine accidents. Alex also advises in connection with yacht and yacht racing collision claims and has further experience in ports and terminals work.
Professional associations & memberships
- Member of British Marine
- Member of the Passenger Boat Association
- Member of Superyacht UK
- Associate Member of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association
- Affiliate Member of the Bristol Maritime Trade Association
- Associate Member of the Yacht Brokers, Designers & Surveyors Association
My matter highlights
- Acting for the owners of a Thames passenger boat operator following a collision with a pier;
- Advising in connection with the prosecution of a high speed rib operator;
- Acting in connection with three recent fatalities involving fishing vessels;
- Successfully Defending the owners and insurers of the fishing vessel REJOICE following an alleged accident aboard the vessel: [Elliot Lambert v (1) V J Glover Limited & (2) Carl Friday (AKA Carl Snell)  EWHC 776 (Admlty)];
- Achieving a successful recovery against the manufacturers of a defective luxury motor yacht.
My testimonials and accolades
Chambers and Partners UK, 2022
“Alex is particularly prompt to respond and very customer-focused.”
The Legal 500 - Shipping South West
“Daniel Crockford and Alex Penberthy are the most responsive, flexible and dedicated team in the market.”
Chambers and Partners 2021
“He has been superb; he's very talented, multi-skilled and a great lawyer.”