UK Immigration route for British National Overseas Citizens (BNO) Resident in Hong Kong

Insights / / UK Immigration route for British National Overseas Citizens (BNO) Resident in Hong Kong

From January 2021 the United Kingdom Government has announced the opening of an immigration route leading to settlement and full British Citizenship for holders of British passports endorsed “British National Overseas”  and resident in Hong Kong.

This immigration route will be open to those both outside and inside the United Kingdom  and will enable applicants to apply to enter or remain in the United Kingdom for an initial period of 30 months  which is extendable by a further 30 month period, upon which permanent residency and British Citizenship can be applied for. This route offer the possibility to work, run your own business, invest and study, but you cannot access public funds such as social welfare benefits.

It’s a very flexible and attractive opportunity to start a new life in the United Kingdom where we have some of the best academic institutions, fantastic career, investment and business opportunities and a sound and secure economy.

To be eligible for this visa route you’ll need to show that you:

  • You have BN(O) status – you don’t need a valid BN(O) passport to show this and you don’t need to request a new passport if it’s expired or has been lost
  • You normally live in Hong Kong
  • You can accommodate and support yourself financially in the UK for at least 6 months
  • Demonstrate a commitment to learn English, where appropriate
  • get a tuberculosis (TB) test certificate from a clinic approved by the Home Office
If you intend entering the UK before the Hong Kong BN(O) Visa is available in January 2021

If you’re not eligible to enter the UK under an existing immigration route, Border Force Officers may be able to consider granting ‘Leave Outside the Rules’ at the UK border for a period of 6 months to you and your accompanying dependents.

To be considered, you’ll need to show:

  • your identity
  • your BN(O) citizen status
  • that you normally live in Hong Kong
  • that you can accommodate support yourself financially in the UK

You’ll also need to show evidence of any non-BN(O) dependents’ family links to you and you should travel together to the UK as a family unit. A dependent is any of the following:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • unmarried partner
  • child (under the age of 18 when they first applied)
  • other family members where they can show there is a high level of dependency

The Immigration Team at Ince is happy to advise you further and to represent you with visa applications under this new category, or indeed any other immigration or British Citizenship matter or enquiry.  Our Family Office Service Team can also advise you on relocation issues, like buying or renting a home in the UK, choosing a location to base yourself, tax issues, investment, business and pension advice.

Contact Director of Immigration Alan Platt.
Or, c
ontact Director of Family Office Services Helen Weaving.

Alan Platt

Alan Platt Consultant

Related services:

Quick links

The Legal 500 2021

“Very available and responsive to company developments in real time. Frank, clear advice – not just the ‘easy’ answer.”

The Legal 500 2022

“The solicitors who have handled our employment related issues are of the highest quality in terms of their specialist area of expertise, their professionalism and their approach to us as clients and as people. Special mention has to be made of Laura Livingstone. Laura became a key member of our team and felt more like a colleague than an external adviser – a colleague you could rely upon. Laura’s attention to detail, professionalism and responsiveness was second to none. Laura has come to know and understand us as individuals and this has enabled her to personalise her advice and even sometimes to preempt our future requirements. We have a very special and extremely valuable relationship with her and the firm.”

- The Legal 500

The Legal 500 2022

“Ince are an excellent “fit” with our specific needs. The firm has consistently provided a broad range of personnel-related advice and in our experience that advice has been consistently of the very highest professional standard: it has been timely, comprehensive, accurate and at a cost which is commensurate with the budget of an organisation of our size.”

- The Legal 500

The Legal 500 2022

“The firm has an unusually high degree of insight into the practices and policies required by the Gambling Commission as regards compliance with its own requirements and conditions – particularly Andrew Tait, derived from his previous in-house experience.”

- The Legal 500