With over 25 years of experience as an insurance lawyer, Jan specialises in international arbitration and commercial dispute resolution, with particular expertise in the mining and construction sectors. He represents captives, insurers, reinsurers and brokers in complex, high value and often multi-jurisdictional disputes. He has a strong reputation for sensible and strategic advice.
Jan is regularly consulted on ‘corporate risk' by large companies, their captives and re/insurers, including on claims and coverage issues relating to high value liability, property and business interruption claims and related subrogated recovery actions.
He is a contributor to a number of publications and conferences including the International Bar Association and AIDA Europe on legal and market issues. He is also the past chair of the Insurance Committee of the International Bar Association, and a member of the British Insurance Law Association and Insurance Institute of London.
Jan was the firm’s International Senior Partner from January 2015 to August 2018, is an experienced leader in legal management and consultancy services and is recognised by the leading legal directories.
COMMERCIAL, STRATEGIC AND LEGAL ADVICE ALL IN ONE.
Professional Association & Memberships
- International Bar Association (IBA) (past Chair of the Insurance Committee)
- British Insurance Law Association
- Insurance Institute of London
What you may not know about Jan
I worked in industry before becoming a lawyer which I believe has helped me focus my legal skills on achieving commercial and strategic benefits for my clients.
Chambers UK, Chambers & Partners, Who's Who Legal
Shareholder of Ince Germany Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH, an independent law firm cooperating with The Ince Group.
My matter highlights
- For the past 15 years advising the captive insurers of an international mining group on all aspects of both their global liability and global property re/insurance programmes in connection with claims arising from their mining operations worldwide (e.g. personal injury claims, property damage and business interruption claims arising from slope, pipeline, dam and other equipment failures).
- Advising a global insurer on reinsurance issues arising out of their CAR/EAR book of business.
- Advising reinsurers on incoming claims and recoveries under ISDA traded Catastrophe Swap transactions in respect of an Industry Loss Warranty cover in connection with the catastrophic Deepwater Horizon/Macondo oil spill.
- Acting as an English law expert for various London market and international insurers in Court proceedings in Canada on a number of complex coverage and professional liability issues.
- Acting on behalf of an international life insurer, in a reinsurance dispute involving its underlying book of A&H business, and issues of time bar.
My testimonials and accolades
“Jan is "an immensely well-regarded non-marine insurance and reinsurance practitioner, often seen leading on a large number of the group's most significant matters."”
“Sources remark that he is "a good practitioner and a good opponent with you come across him," and that he is "commercial and nuanced in his approach."”
“He is also distinguished as an insurance and reinsurance specialist.”
“Clearly master of his field of law, and pragmatic and commercial in addition.”
My recent publications
News / Ince & Co appoints ten new partners globally, including one partner hire
International law firm Ince & Co announced today the promotion of six lawyers to its partnership with effect from 1 May 2018, along with an additional partner hire. These follow the promotion of three partners in the Hamburg office on 1 April 2018. The new partners will further enhance the firm’s outstanding contentious practice whilst continuing to build transactional capabilities in its chosen sectors and geographies.
News / Ince Co in alliance with Incisive Law LLC to go open plan in new office move
International law firm Ince & Co in alliance with Incisive Law LLC has announced today that it will move its Singapore office to 5 Shenton Way, UIC Building, one of the newest redevelopments in Singapore’s Central Business District. Ince & Co will be in its new premises on 1 May. A recipient of the BCA Green Mark Award (Gold Plus), the UIC Building at No. 5 Shenton Way is a high-density, mixed-use redevelopment designed in line with the Singapore Government’s initiative to promote a balanced lifestyle in a green and sustainable environment.
News / Hong Kong Shipping Briefing
30-10-2017 / Maritime
We will be discussing current trends and developments affecting the shipping industry in Hong Kong, Asia, and globallyTo register your interest in attending, please click here to RSVP
News / Ince Co recognised in 2014 London Super Lawyers magazine
18-12-2014 / Aviation & Travel, Energy & Infrastructure, Insurance, Maritime