Aris is a partner with our Piraeus office. He has over 10 years’ experience, specialising in all aspects of shipping, international trade, marine and non-marine insurance, and reinsurance disputes. He advises shipowners, P&I Clubs, Charterers, Traders, H&M Underwriters in a wide range of both dry and wet shipping law issues and disputes also relating to the international trade of commodities and the off-shore sector.
Aris’ expertise covers all aspects of shipping disputes which may arise out of Charterparties, Bills of Lading, collisions, groundings, salvage and towage, general average, limitation of liability, shipbuilding and MOAs.
He regularly represents clients in arbitrations (under the LMAA, LCIA, ICC rules), mediations and English High Court proceedings. He also regularly appoints and oversees local lawyers in a wide range of cross border disputes.
Regularly involved during the early stages of disputes, Aris is oftentimes offering urgent assistance to clients preventing further escalation.
Aris’ non contentious experience covers drafting of Chaterparties, Ship Management agreements, towing agreements, sale and purchase contracts, commodities sale contracts and various agreements relating to the off-shore industry.
Prior to joining Ince, Aris spent several years working with an International Consultancy in the Middle East and with the Greek office of an International shipping law firm.
Professional Associations & memberships
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- Thessaloniki Bar Association
My matter highlights
- Advising shipowners and their P&I insurers in relation to a cargo claim with respect to timber cargo carried on deck and shifted overboard during transit.
- Advising shipowners on the successful exercise of lien on cargo in respect of unpaid hire by defaulting Charterers.
- Acting for the successful shipowners in London Arbitration 14/18 with respect to the cleanliness of holds in respect of the carriage of steel cargo.
- Acting for the successful shipowners in unreported arbitration award dealing with unlawful deductions effected from hire in relation to Underperformance dispute.
- Acting for the successful shipowners in defending claims brought by Charterers in relation to alleged unseaworthiness under a Time Charetrparty.
- Advising shipowners and their insurers in relation to delays suffered at the loading port due to the Shippers’ failure to obtain customs’ clearance for the cargo laden.
- Advising shipowners in relation to delays suffered at the discharge port in relation to the delivery of a cargo of coal
- Advising shipowners in U$multi-million dispute in relation to unsafe port nominated by the Charterers under a Time Charterparty.
- Advising Insurers in respect of a $multi-million Constructive Total Loss of a plant under a political violence risks policy and also advising on the position under the reinsurance contract.