Gary is Asia Head of Finance. A dual qualified solicitor in Hong Kong and England and Wales, he is a specialist in cross-border project finance, asset finance, secured lending and restructuring. He also handles a wide scope of commercial shipping work ranging from sale & purchase, newbuilding contracts (including conversion and yacht building contracts), ship management agreements, joint ventures and shareholders’ agreements and debt and equity arrangements.
He is ranked in legal directories as one of the leading ship finance experts in Hong Kong.
He represents clients including lenders, agent banks, lessors, lessees and owners on the financing of ships and shipping related assets such as offshore assets. He covers all types of vessels including containers, container vessels, bulk carriers, supply and support vessels, yachts and cruise vessels.
Gary has substantial experience of transactions in China covering shipping finance, corporate and projects.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
My matter highlights
- Advised a major oil company in China on three loan facilities in an aggregate loan amount of around US$467 million for the purpose of financing its acquisitions of eight crude carriers (VLCCs) owned by three different companies and managed and operated by a Chinese shipping company through a charitable trust structure.
- Advised various major banks in Asia in relation to the financing of three 13,200 TEU container vessels of OOCL under Japanese operating lease structure with the aggregate loan amount of US$310,800,000.
- Advised a key European bank in a term loan facility transaction in respect of two joint venture companies set up by a major Chinese shipbuilding and trading company and a German shipping company, for the financing of two multi-purpose heavy lift carrier newbuilding.
- Advised a major mainland Chinese company in relation to a US$200 million loan facility to a major container ship operator in Hong Kong for the purpose of financing the acquisition cost of their new marine containers.
- Advised a major container operator on their standard terms and conditions.
Advised the buyer of luxury yacht “Oxygen” and “Lenios”
My testimonials and accolades
“Ranked as Leading Individuals in Shipping Asset Finance ”
“Who's Who Legal 2017 - Compendium Edition”
My recent publications
News / Ince achieve top rankings in the new Chambers and Partners Greater China Region 2022 Guide
18-01-2022 / Insurance, Maritime
The firm maintained its high rankings in Shipping and Insurance across China and Hong Kong jurisdictions.
News / New Hong Kong Companies Changes Update
Under the amended Companies Ordinance, which became effective on 1 March 2018, companies incorporated in Hong Kong are required to identify persons who have significant control in the company ("significant controllers") and keep a register of such significant controllers ("SCR").