Charbel is a corporate, finance and commercial lawyer, with significant experience involving matters governed by UAE law and the wider MENA region. His clients include banks, funds, international and domestic companies and family businesses.
Charbel regularly advises clients in the Middle East on corporate, commercial and financial transactions including the restructuring and disposal of companies, domestic and cross-border M&A, joint ventures, agency and franchise agreements, security and facility agreements.
He also advises clients on all aspects of UAE law and has helped set up and establish numerous new ventures in mainland UAE and the various free zones. This includes opining on regulatory and compliance issues, as well as legal matters.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Beirut Bar Association
What you may not know about Charbel
Charbel used to lead protests during university years
My matter highlights
- Advising a UAE fund on the acquisition of labor camps in Dubai Investment Park. I was involved in drafting the legal due diligence and the sale and purchase agreements and the transfer procedures.
- Advising the shareholders of a real estate company on the sale of their shares to a UAE fund. I was involved in drafting the sale purchase and share transfer agreements and the execution of the transfer before the relevant authorities.
- Advising an Italian company owner of luxury trade marks on its acquisition of stores located in various prestigious shopping malls in the UAE.
- Advising a local bank in a facility transaction and reviewing and drafting the required agreements including the facility, escrow and share pledge agreement.
- Advising international banks on different finance matters and issuing legal opinions in relation to ship finance agreements, corporate guarantees, assignment of rights and other types of security.
- Advising international aviation companies on several UAE local matters and providing them with the relevant UAE law advice.
- Drafting vessel mortgage agreements, as collateral for bank facilities and registering the same.
- Acting for a fund on the acquisition of clinics and dental clinics and drafting the due diligence reports, SPA and other related documents.
- Acting for a marketing company in its acquisition of minority interest in an international media company.
- Assisting foreign investors in restructuring their ownership in their local operating companies.
My testimonials and accolades
“An outstanding lawyer. He is very knowledgeable in UAE laws and is very efficient in his responses. He has become our go-to lawyer in the UAE.”
“Very responsive, very knowledgeable, practical and straight to the point. I also appreciate how Charbel manages clients’ expectations in terms of deliverables.”
My recent publications
News / Common Legal Queries in the UAE
Aside from the impact of Covid-19 and its legal implications, we have been asked several legal questions during the first three months of this year related to employment or banking operations. In these questions and answers, we will focus on the rights granted to the employer to compel the employee to take paid leave and the remuneration to be paid to the employee during such leave. On the banking side, we will tackle issues related to the termination of a credit agreement for an indefinite period, the right for the bank to refuse payment of an unconditional guarantee, and the time bar granted to a creditor in order to claim his debt and to benefit from the surety issued in his favour.
Blogs / Your corporate questions answered
In this video interview, corporate lawyer Charbel Fadel will answer 10 tricky legal questions that we often get asked by our clients in the UAE. They are loosely grouped around the corporate and contractual issues and the common theme for these questions is that the answers are not what may seem from the first glance.
Blogs / Suretyship in the UAE: legal hints
It is common in commercial transactions that a personal guarantee/suretyship be issued in favor of the creditor as part of the security offered.