Our legal experts have decades of specialist expertise in obtaining fast, secure recovery of debts and can help with everything from negotiations to court proceedings.
When acting in such matters our costs are calculated based on our hourly fee rates. The cost of your matter will depend upon its complexity. However below are the average ranges for simple, medium, and high complexity matters.
Range of costs
Simple matters: £500 to £2,500 plus VAT (currently 20%)
Medium complexity case: £2,500 to £5,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
High complexity case: £5,000 to £15,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
The above costs would include:
- Taking instructions and reviewing documentation
- Receiving payment and forwarding payment to you
- Pre-action correspondence
- Drafting and issuing claim where payment is not made
- Preparation of proceedings including where appropriate
- Standard Claim Form
- Statutory Demand
- Bankruptcy Petition
- Winding up Petition
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the Court to enter Judgment in default
- When Judgment in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within a certain number of days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Where a case is disputed it may involve having to deal with an application to set aside the proceedings and it may therefore be necessary to prepare evidence in reply. This would not be included and can potentially increase costs beyond any of the above estimates.
There are a number of factors that could make matters more complex and therefore increase cost. These could include, but are not limited to:
- Lack of supporting paperwork from the client;
- Allegations of a dispute previously raised by the Debtor but not disclosed by the client resulting in possible Applications that were not anticipated.
- Attendance at mediation;
- Contractual issues;
- Consideration of a counter claim.
As costs are calculated on our hourly rate there are also a number of factors that could decrease costs such as:
- Client supplying clear and concise paperwork
- Early settlement of matter
There are a number of disbursements that you may be required to pay in addition to our costs. These could include, but are not limited to:
- Process Server’s fees of approximately £85.00 plus VAT for service of a document (not including trace fees).
- Advocate fees for Court attendance of approximately £100.00 plus VAT.
- Court fees of between £25.00 and £280.00 depending on the type of Application (Court fees for the issue of Claim Forms vary depending on the value of the debt).
- Advert Fees of approximately £85.00 plus VAT where it is necessary to advertise a Winding up Petition.
- Official Receiver’s Deposit of £990.00 in relation to a Bankruptcy Petition and £1,600.00 upon presentation of a Winding up Petition. Please note these sums are refundable where the Petition has been withdrawn or dismissed by Order of the Court apart from a £50 administration charge imposed by the Official Receiver.
- Counsel’s Fees for attending the hearing of a Winding up Petition of £85.00 plus VAT. Counsel may also be required to assist in matters which have become disputed and their fees for advising, preparing evidence and advocacy vary depending on the complexity of any dispute and the location of the Court considering the dispute.
- Sheriff’s fees of £66.00 for the transfer of a County Court Judgment to the High Court for enforcement purposes. Their charges will depend on which Sheriff is instructed.
(Please note these disbursements are estimates only and are subject to change).
The average timescale for a debt recovery matter will depend upon a number of variables including the ability to serve the Debtor and the Court availability but typically our team estimate anything from 2 days to 3 months.
The debt recovery team is led by Kevin Chinnery who is the head of department based in our London office. Kevin has more than 35 years’ experience within the industry and is supported by a skilled and experienced team from both our London and Cardiff offices. For individual profiles of the team, click on the links below.
Based in London:
- Kevin Chinnery – Head of Debt Recovery
- Nick Goldstone – Joint Managing Partner
- Philip Cohen – Senior Partner Litigation
- Gareth Jones – Partner
- Julie Killip – Partner
- Max Robinson – Partner
- Melanie Hart – Partner
- Nicholas Yapp – Head of Dispute Resolution Department, Partner
- Robin Shaw – Partner
- George Georgiou – Consultant
- Lawrence Cartier – Consultant
- Jake Cassidy – Senior Associate
- Vikash Savani – Senior Associate
- Sarah Townsend – Associate
- Benjamin Atkin – Associate, Solicitor Advocate
For more information
For more information about using our professional services for debt recovery, please get in touch either by telephone, email or our website enquiry form. One of our team would be delighted to speak to you and provide you with a fixed fee bespoke to your needs.