Cookies Policy

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to accept these cookies.To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Cookies Policy.


Ince Gordon Dadds Emergency Response +442072836999

Licensed premises | Planning permission

We have extensive experience in dealing with planning permission for various premises. Planning should be one of the first issues considered when opening or changing a licenced premises. One of the first questions to ask yourself is: do the premises already hold the required permission to enable you to use them in the way you intend?

Changes of use

We have dealt with numerous instances of changing a planning use, which in some cases requires separate planning consent. We can also advise on a temporary change of use which in some instances can be for a period of two years without making a formal planning application.

The main categories of uses that we deal with are:

A1 – Shops and retails
A3 – Restaurants and Cafés
A4 – Drinking establishments
A5 – Hot food takeaways
C1 – Hotels
Sui Generis – a combination of uses

- Tables and Chairs Licences

You will need planning permission to place tables and chairs on the pavement area outside your premises because it changes the use of that land. However, if you will only be using land on a private forecourt area then it may not be necessary to obtain planning permission.

- Consent to Advertise

You may require planning permission to display an advertisement on the front of or outside your premises. This includes illuminated signage, posters, A-boards, hanging signs.

- Conditions attached to Planning Permissions

We work with you to compile conditions and agree these with the relevant local authority. We also assist you in varying or removing conditions which are attached to planning permissions. This may include removing or varying a condition which limits opening hours or requires that alcohol can only be served ancillary to food. For example, if a business wishes to extend its opening hours for licensable activities later into the night because of the opening of the night tube, we can assist you in applying to amend or remove the hours-of-use condition in your planning permission. This is something we have great experience in and have been successful with against the odds. Obtaining permissions in respect of listed buildings and those in conservation areas is more complex, and we have abundant experience in dealing with these types of matters.

Case Studies

  • Successfully obtaining planning permissions for tables and chairs licences for both London-only and also UK-wide restaurants and hotels; both new applicationss on expiry of an existing planning permission and also extensions of existing pavement area licenses.
  • Assisting La Tasca in obtaining various advertisement consents to permit illuminated signage, hanging signs, illuminated menus, large signage, A-boards, awnings; including varying applications in respect of diverse listed buildings and also buildings sited in conservation areas.
  • Assisting a client in varying the supply of alcohol ancillary to food condition so that a specific area within the premises was permitted so supply alcohol without food.
Locations map

Ince Gordon Dadds Worldwide
Expand the map to view a selection of our notable cases and transactions

Key contacts