Paul is instructed in connection with an extensive variety of both ‘dry’ and ‘damp’ commercial shipping and associated underlying commodity related disputes. Most arise in the context of actual or potential issues involving London arbitration and/or mediation, but also in cases involving the High Court.
Paul's experience includes advising and dealing with issues in both the liquid and bulk cargo markets under both time and voyage charterparties; contracts of affreightment; bills of lading along with the associated commodity/underlying contracts for the sale of goods by sea. Advice is also given on issues of liability/recovery under policies of insurance, general average and jurisdictional issues as needed.
Instructions received can be directly from individual owners/charterers/insurers/cargo owners/sellers/buyers, with such instructions provided via Defence and P&I Clubs, liability and indemnity insurers and international trading companies.
Paul in listed in the Legal 500 “Hall of Fame” and is individually ranked in “Shipping” by Chambers & Partners.
"The aim is to resolve, as swiftly as possible, whatever is sensibly capable of resolution. To the extent it is not, ensure that the collaboration with the client is clear and effective."
What you may not know about Paul
Golf, personal fitness and astronomy are hobbies. Married with two children!
My matter highlights
- Handling significant and complex claims arising out of major ship and cargo damage/loss
- Immediate practical advice and recommendations given on issues and/or incidents as they occur
- Assistance with claims of all values
- COA, time and voyage charterparty disputes of all kinds
- Multi-jurisdictional litigation including Starlight Shipping Co v Allianz Marine and Aviation Versicherungs AG and Others (the “ALEXANDROS T”)  2 Lloyd's Rep. 579
- Range of sale of goods and commodity trading disputes
- Bunker quality and supply issues
- Drafting and considering standard terms of trade/carriage for clients
- Advice on settlement of claims and potential resolution by ADR and mediation
- Cases involving calculation of market recoverable loss/damages
My testimonials and accolades
“He is very well respected and a great lawyer.”
“A good negotiator and he's good at finding a solution.”
“Paul is an exceptional black-letter lawyer who pairs this with a commercial approach to reach the best all-round solutions.”
My recent publications
Insights / Tribunal’s findings in commodities dispute result in substantial injustice
04-08-2021 / Commodities & Trade
PBO v. DONPRO & others  EWHC 1951 (Comm)
Insights / Buyer not entitled to reject off-specification fuel oil
20-07-2021 / Maritime
Galtrade Limited v. BP Oil International Limited  EWHC 1796 (Comm)
Insights / Invalid nomination of vessel did not entitle Sellers to terminate contract
29-04-2021 / Maritime
In this case, the Sellers under a sale contract jumped the gun and found themselves in breach when they purported to terminate the contract prematurely on the ground that they (mistakenly) considered the Buyers were in repudiatory breach. Parties in a similar situation should be wary of falling into the same trap.
Insights / Court considers scope and effect of demurrage clause
16-09-2020 / Maritime
K Line Pte Ltd v. Priminds Shipping (HK) Co Ltd (Eternal Bliss)  EWHC 2373 (Comm)
Insights / Court asserts its jurisdiction in marine insurance dispute
29-06-2020 / Maritime
In an insurance coverage dispute, the English Commercial Court has held that the insurers had much the better of the argument that the policies in question incorporated an exclusive English Court jurisdiction clause.