Department Maritime, Dispute Resolution, Trade & Commodities, Regulatory, Insurance, Energy & Infrastructure, Oil & Gas Qualified Singapore, 2011 Education (University) LL.B (Hons), National University of Singapore Languages English, Malay
Haireez is a dispute resolution specialist with extensive experience in all aspects of litigation, arbitration and mediation matters. Haireez is one of the youngest in the inaugural select group of Singapore-qualified practitioners recognized by the Singapore Academy of Law in 2019 as accredited specialists in Maritime & Shipping Law. This accreditation is a recognition for lawyers who have displayed expertise in a broad range of Maritime & Shipping practice areas including carriage of goods by sea, admiralty claims, international trade and maritime conflict of laws.
Haireez is also presently the Deputy Subject Co-ordinator for Admiralty Practice with the Singapore Institute of Legal Education as well as the external tutor for Trial Advocacy in the National University of Singapore (NUS).
Apart from Maritime & Shipping, Haireez’s contentious areas of practice also extends to a wide spectrum of multi-jurisdictional commercial and corporate disputes, and oil & gas matters. He has appeared as counsel before the Singapore Courts and various arbitration tribunals in Singapore and overseas. As part of his experience in managing cross-border disputes, Haireez has also worked with some of the most world-renowned solicitors and barristers across various jurisdictions.
Haireez also has considerable experience in non-contentious and advisory work. He regularly represents banks, financial institutions and commodity traders on trade and commodity financing products, letters of credit, security instruments and international sale and purchase agreements.
Haireez graduated with a Bachelor of Law (Hons) from NUS and was a recipient of the M Karthigesu Memorial Gold Medal & Prize as the best student in shipping law in NUS.
Haireez is fluent in English and Malay.
Professional associations & memberships
- The Law Society of Singapore
- The Singapore Academy of Law and Deputy Subject Co-ordinator
- Admiralty Practice
- Singapore Institute of Legal Education
My matter highlights
Prior to joining the firm, Haireez has acted in the following matters, among others:
Selection of reported judgments
- Oro Negro Drilling Pte Ltd and others v Integradora de Servicios Petroleros Oro Negro SAPI de CV and others  1 SLR 226 [SGCA]: A landmark Court of Appeal decision on conflict of laws, interim injunctions, directors’ duties and shareholders’ obligations.
- Kong Hoo (Pte Ltd) and another v Public Prosecutor  1 SLR 1131 [SGCA]: Another landmark decision Court of Appeal decision, this time on whether a valuable shipment of Madagascan rosewood was in transit or had been imported into Singapore within the meaning the Endangered Species (Import and Export) Act.
- EFT Holdings, Inc and another v Marinteknik Shipbuilders (S) Pte Ltd and another  1 SLR 860 [SGCA]: The leading Singapore authority on unlawful means conspiracy.
Other notable cases
- Lead Counsel in a dispute over sale and purchase of gas oil between two oil trading companies before the Singapore High Court.
- Lead Counsel in successfully resisting a bank’s application to place a yard under judicial management.
- Lead Counsel before the Singapore High Court in a successful application to resist payment under a Counter Guarantee issued by a major local bank on the grounds of unconscionability.
- Instructed Counsel in a dispute between a head-owner and a sub-charterer down the chain regarding a lien for sub-freights before the Singapore High Court.
- Lead Counsel in successfully applying for an injunction against payment out under a letter of credit against presentation of a fraudulent bill of lading before the Singapore High Court
- Lead Counsel in a dispute over quality of a cargo of urea shipped from Qingdao for discharge at Lagos under the SIAC Rules.
- Lead Counsel in an arbitration under SIAC Rules concerning a claim for Wrotham Park damages.
- Lead Counsel before an Emergency Arbitrator in a successful application to obtain a prohibitory injunction to prohibit the counterparty from selling or disposing iron ore extracted from a particular concession area in India.
- Acted for a leading shipyard in a dispute arising out of a contract for the construction and sale of an Offshore Semi-Submersible Drilling Unit of with a contract value in excess of US$500 million.
- Acting for another leading shipyard in a dispute concerning the construction and sale of a Jack Up Drilling Rig with a contract value in excess of US$200 million.
- Acted in a dispute against an engine dealer relating to the performance capacity of fire pump engines for a claim in excess of SG$ 14million before the Singapore High Court.
- Acted for a major crude & trading oil state-owned company to recover a claim of about US$12 million.
- Appeared before a Tribunal of three in London on behalf of a leading commodities trading house in a consolidated arbitration under the LMAA Rules relating to a dispute on the quality of Indonesian coking coal for a claim in excess of USD 10million.
- Appeared before a Tribunal in Visakhapatnam, India on behalf of a leading commodities trading house in an arbitration under the ICC Rules relating to a dispute over a cargo of Wire Rod Coils and Rebars in excess of USD 3.5 million.
- Appeared before a Tribunal in New Delhi, India in an arbitration governed by the Rules of International Commercial Arbitration of the Indian Council of Arbitration relating to a dispute arising out of a CFR contract for urea.
- Assisted a major oil trading company to recover more than USD 5.5 million against a company in liquidation.
- Instructed in a dispute relating to a contract of affreightment on the Americanised Welsh Coal Charter form involving a total of 90 shipments for a period of 5 years.
- Instructed in a SIAC arbitration to represent a Buyer which was coerced into increasing the agreed sale price of coal and successfully obtained an award to rescind the sale agreement obtained under economic duress.
My recent publications
Insights / The Legal 500 Shipping Guide – Hot Topic: Fraudulently-issued Letters of Indemnity – Risks, Mitigation, and Prevention
02-12-2020 / Commodities & Trade
The recent spate of allegations of fraud or foul-play that have rocked Singapore’s beleaguered commodities market.