Department Maritime Qualified England and Wales - Barrister 1988, Solicitor 2002 Education (University) Frecheville Comprehensive Sheffield, University of Kingston (London) - LLB (Hons), Inns of Court School of Law - Barrister, QLTT - Solicitor Languages English
Join Julian Clark at:
Julian is the firm’s Senior Partner with global responsibility for the firms practice sectors and client base both in London and internationally. He is himself an internationally recognised leader in shipping and international trade with over 30 years experience in mediation, arbitration and litigation.
Julian has for over 15 years been ranked in the worlds leading legal reference guides including Chambers & Partners 2020 where he is described as being “recommended in the market for his strong relationship with P&I Clubs”, the Legal 500 where he is ranked as a member of the Hall of Fame, the US publication “Super Lawyers” and Who’s Who Legal who rank him as a “Global Leader”. On leaving his previous position as the Global Head of Shipping of another leading London Firm the press commented on his recruitment to Ince as being “a major score”. He is also internationally recognised as an expert in piracy, e-commerce (including blockchain), cybercrime, security and terrorism issues in the maritime field. He is the Chair of the Maritime London Innovation and Technical Committee and Cyber Risk sub committee of the CMI.
“My aim in both client service and law firm management is integrity, innovation and inspiration. I believe that our role as legal and business advisors is to become integral to the operation of our clients providing cost effective business solutions that actually work and improve their operational capability.”
Professional associations & memberships
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- Member of the Baltic Exchange
- Supporting member of the LMAA
- Member of the Singapore Maritime Law Association
- Member of the South African Maritime Law Association
- Chairman of the Maritime London Innovation and Technical Committee
- Chairman of the Cyber Crime subcommittee of the CMI
- Freeman of the City of London
- Liveryman of the Honourable Society of Shipwrights
- Liveryman of the Honourable Society of Blacksmiths
- Member of the Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration (SCMA)
- Member of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners
What you may not know about Julian
Julian was previously a professional musician and for a number of years sailed as a band leader with P&O. He has had the honour to play along such greats as Sir Paul McCartney, and recorded at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios and Sawmills where Oasis recorded “Definitely Maybe”- working with their engineer John Cornfield. He has released a number of recordings produced by award winning producer George Shilling.
“Listed in Legal 500, Chambers, Super Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal."
My matter highlights
- Advising Limbungan Makmur SDN and Lion Diversified Holdings BHD in complex issues of force majeure concerning the applicable test of causation for an exceptions clause or force major clause to be effective and what is the correct approach to calculating damages when there is an actual breach of contract but the innocent party would not have performed in any event (Golden Victory  UKHL 12 &  EWCA Civ 1190. Classic Maritime Inc v. Limbungan Maukmur SDN and Lion Diversified Holdings BHD  EWHC 2389 &  EWCA Civ 1102.
- Advising disponent owners and head charterers on a leading London arbitration concerning alleged hull swapping.
- Advising charterers following a shipboard explosion concerning the carriage of Calcium Hypochlorite - Compania Sud Americana de Vapores SA v. Sinochem Tianjin Import and Export Corp (the “Aconcagua”)  EWHC 1880 (Comm) and  EWCA Civ 1403.
- Advising owners on the interpretation of the words “goods lost or damaged” within Article IV Rule 5 (a) of the Hague-Visy Rules - Serena Navigation Ltd v. Dera Commercial Establishment  EWHC 1036.
- Advising owners on the grounding of the vessel “Sealand Express” at Cape Town in 2004.
- Advising owners following a major coal fire on board the vessel “Avala” at Durban - Marc Rich & Co AG v. Beogradska Plovidba (the “Avala”)  2 Lloyds Rep 363.
- Advising owners of the “Evoikos” following the collision with the “Orapin Global” in the straights of Singapore leading to one of the worst oil spills in Singapore’s history - 28,000 tonnes of fuel oil only two miles from Singapore’s southern shore.
- Advising PB Tankers on the sanctioning of the entire fleet and achieving one of the fastest delistings in recent OFAC history.
- Writing the terms and conditions of two major marine insurance facilites at Lloyds of London.
- Providing a number of leading thought leadership presentations in the fields of terrorism, cyber crime, and e-commerce at the IMO, University of Southhampton, University of Liverpool, Tulane Law School, the South African Maritime Law Association, the USA Maritime Law Association, the LMAA and Baltic Exchange and leading the UK Trade Delegation to New York in relation to maritime commerce following Brexit.
My testimonials and accolades
“Julian Clark is recognised in the market for his strong relationship with P&I clubs. His contentious shipping expertise covers a range of wet and dry disputes. ”
My recent publications
News / Rosita Lau is awarded Medal of Honour by the Chief Executive of Hong Kong
23-08-2021 / Maritime
Insights / ICLG Legal Guides 2021
12-08-2021 / Maritime
We are delighted to share with you our contributions in this year's International Comparative Legal Guides (ICLG).
News / Ince launches integrated specialist sanctions compliance solution with Windward
11-08-2021 / Energy & Infrastructure, Maritime
News / Crew change process deteriorating once again as Covid-19 resurges
02-07-2021 / Maritime
The crew change crisis, which reached a peak in the middle of last year when some 400,000 seafarers were waiting to embark and disembark has been worsening once again.
News / Ince releases cover of iconic single ‘Sailing’ by global virtual choir on Day of the Seafarer to raise funds for maritime charities
25-06-2021 / Maritime
Single now available to purchase online in support of maritime charities helping COVID-19’s hidden seafarer heroes who have been unable to return home to their families.
News / Ince enhances global maritime offering with new Maritime and Marine Insurance team in our Bristol office
27-05-2021 / Maritime
We are delighted to announce today the continued growth and development of our maritime division with the imminent addition of a specialist and highly experienced shipping team to its Bristol office.
News / Ince boosts international maritime team with hire of new Partner, Aris Moschopoulos
24-05-2021 / Maritime
Ince, the international legal and professional services firm, today further strengthened its world-leading shipping team with the appointment of Aris Moschopoulos as Partner in its Piraeus office.
News / Ince launches ‘Sailing: Sing for Seafarers’ campaign to raise awareness of seafarers’ crucial role as key workers in the global economy
05-05-2021 / Maritime
We are excited to announce the establishment of our global virtual choir, in collaboration with companies and organisations from across the industry, to record ‘Sailing’ - the song made iconic by Rod Stewart. The choir is in partnership with Royal Museums Greenwich and supported by four of the world’s leading maritime charities: Mission to Seafarers, Sailors’ Society, Stella Maris and Seafarers’ Charity.
News / Ince strengthens Regulatory Solutions team with the hire of new Partner Colette Kelly
We are pleased to announce that Colette Kelly has joined as a new Partner in our Regulatory Solutions team.
News / Ince launches an integrated cyber security solution for the maritime sector in cooperation with Mission Secure
01-02-2021 / Maritime
Industry-first integrated legal advisory, business consultancy and technology offering – helping ship owners and operators navigate the sector’s greatest challenges and IMO 2021 cyber compliance
News / Ince Piraeus adds lateral hire to expanding shipping team
18-01-2021 / Maritime
Ince has today announced the hire of Konstantinos (Dinos) Mexias as Partner in Piraeus, to strengthen its already world-leading shipping team.
Insights / Shipping needs to prepare for the next pandemic
05-01-2021 / Maritime
"Captains and owners are making heroic attempts trying to get medevacs, but they are being refused due to Covid restrictions," Rachel Butlin said.
News / Ince named as one of The Times’ Best Law Firms 2021
Ince is proud to be named as one of the top three UK maritime law firms in The Times’ ‘Best Law Firms 2021’.
News / Ince hires additional Partner to further bolster shipping team
02-11-2020 / Maritime
News / Ince confirmed as platinum sponsors of LISW21
21-10-2020 / Maritime
We are pleased to announce that we will be part of the London International Shipping Week 2021 (LISW21) as a Platinum Sponsor.
News / Ince opens new Cyprus office with team from L.Zambartas LLC
28 September 2020, Cyprus: International legal and professional services firm Ince has today announced the opening of a new office in Limassol, Cyprus.
Insights / ICLG Legal Guides 2020
20-08-2020 / Maritime
We are delighted to share with you Ince's articles on ICLG Legal Guides 2020.
Insights / ICLG - United Kingdom: Shipping Laws and Regulations
20-08-2020 / Maritime
United Kingdom covers common issues in shipping laws and regulations - including marine casualty, cargo claims, passenger claims, arrest and security - in 40 jurisdictions.
Insights / The changing face of maritime law and risk - cyber, e-commerce, automation of vessels: shipping laws and regulations 2020
19-08-2020 / Maritime
As the pace of global digitalisation steadily accelerates across many industry sectors, the international maritime industry has similarly continued to adopt technologies aimed at making its processes more efficient and reducing costs. This chapter highlights some key developments in maritime technology, the benefits they bring and the potential risks they present. It considers certain legal, regulatory and practical issues that arise and discusses some of the solutions being implemented across the international maritime sector.
News / Ince accepts invitation to join Smart Maritime Network with Senior Partner Julian Clark becoming a member of the Smart Maritime Council
08-06-2020 / Maritime
Ince, the premier global shipping firm and part of the Ince Group, is pleased to announce that it has accepted an invitation to join the Smart Maritime Network (SMN) with Senior Partner Julian Clark assuming a position on the Smart Maritime Council.
News / Ince partners with Sailors’ Society to champion seafarers as “key workers of the sea” supporting global supply chain
27-05-2020 / Maritime
27 May 2020, London: Ince, the international legal and professional services firm, has partnered with global maritime welfare charity Sailors’ Society, one of the largest seafarers’ support charities in the world, to raise awareness for the plight of seafarers. Dubbed the “key workers of the sea”, seafarers are particularly exposed to the effects of the Coronavirus outbreak.