George has over 30 years’ experience in dealing with commercial, corporate and maritime matters. He was a partner in a law firm in the UK (heading up the Commercial Litigation Department) before moving to Cyprus in 1999 to take up the position of in-house legal adviser of an international shipping company. Thereafter he spent three years as a senior lawyer in a niche corporate and maritime law firm which was part of a multijurisdictional corporate service provider and then joined his wife, Louise in 2008, to form L.G Zambartas LLC.
George holds a BA (Hons) in Law and Politics from the University of London’s Queen Mary College.
He has extensive experience in Commercial Law and Cypriot Corporate Law as well as shipping, ship financing, maritime claims, ship management and purchase/sales of ships, including new builds.
He has undertaken ship registration, re-flagging, re-naming and parallel registration in all major registries around the world.
He has advised Shipping Companies, particularly in Russia and Ukraine seeking ship Finance from Western European Banks. He has given presentations on ship finance at International Shipping Conferences and provided legal opinions on matters of Cyprus Law to International Banks on high value transactions and drafted security documents compliant with Cyprus Law to facilitate the transaction.
Additionally, he has considerable experience in advising and preparing the contractual documentation required to effect major cross-border acquisitions for shipping and corporate clients.
"Using all of my experience after over 30 years in the legal profession, I focus not only on the transaction but more importantly the clients and their specific requirements and objectives in order to build up long-term relationships with the clients. I ensure that I am available at all times so that any deadlines are always met and I am reliably able to provide innovative solutions to challenging problems." - George
Professional associations and memberships
- Member of the Cyprus bar Association (CBA)
- Registered with the Solicitors Regulation Authority of England and Wales
- Member of the Cyprus Marine Club
- Special Agent for the Liberian Registry in Cyprus
What you may not know about George
George is a devoted fan of Liverpool Football Club and also plays football on a regular basis in the position of goalkeeper, participating in a number of international football tournaments over the last few years. Additionally, he enjoys playing table tennis and tennis. He has a keen interest in music and has watched many live concerts in different countries which he has combined with his love of travel.
My matter highlights
- Successfully represented a shipowner which acquired a vessel with crew that were refusing to comply with owners’ instructions. Notwithstanding a virtual total shutdown of the Cypriot Courts due to the measures taken to combat Covid 19, through cooperation with the Deputy Ministry of Cyprus the vessel was detained in Cyprus preventing a potential act of piracy by the crew and facilitating a successful takeover of the vessel by the Owners.
- Appointment as the Cypriot Counsel of the EBRD in connection with the EBRD’s acquisition of a 5.38% stake in Hellenic Bank Public Company Ltd.
- Appointment as the Cypriot Counsel of a Greek PLC and reviewing and advising on a share purchase and subscription agreement.
- Appointment as the Cypriot Counsel of the EBRD and providing legal support on matters of Cypriot corporate law in relation to a multi-million-euro solar power project both in Cyprus and Ukraine.
- Representing a Cypriot company (within a large international group of companies) to provide legal support on an ongoing transaction in the form of an amended and restated loan agreement in the amount of US$30 million.
My recent publications
News / Ince opens new Cyprus office with team from L.Zambartas LLC
28 September 2020, Cyprus: International legal and professional services firm Ince has today announced the opening of a new office in Limassol, Cyprus.