Department Ince Consultancy: Shipping, Aviation Qualified England & Wales (1999) Education (University) College of Law (UK), PGDip Legal Practice (LPC) Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA Fellowship) Harvard Business School, Boston MA, Advanced Corporate Restructuring University of Hertfordshire, BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering
Duncan is the Managing Director of Ince Consultancy, with over 25 years’ experience - specialising in sourcing asset and corporate finance for maritime and vessel owning and operating companies, acting as an expert Maritime Financial Advisor and advising on financial restructuring situations for clients.
Duncan has debt and equity fundraising experience in the private and public market using conventional and Shariah-compliant structures as well as new build finance and sale and leaseback finance transaction experience.
Although based in the firm’s Abu Dhabi office he advises and assists companies, banks, alternative lenders and, private equity investors across the world. In addition, he is an expert in refinancing financially distressed maritime assets and consensual restructuring of assets and companies. He has acted as a Board Advisor, Chief investment Officer and Chief Financial Officer.
“My clients should not worry about the situation, I want them to be able to focus on their business and let me deal with their financing requirements.”
Professional associations and memberships
- Fellow of the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (UK)
What you may not know about Duncan
Duncan is a keen golfer and has played signature golf courses around the UK and Europe. He has also played in the Dubai Classic Pro Am in Dubai on multiple occasions and the Challenge Tour end of season Pro Am. He is also an enthusiastic and competitive triathlete and has run the London Marathon on multiple occasions fundraising for stroke and hospice focussed charities.
My matter highlights
- Sourcing a US$400m sale and leaseback finance facility for a Middle East based oil transport company.
- Sourcing a US$110m Shariah debt finance facility for the refinancing of a fleet of 4 MRs for a Middle East based DPP and CPP transportation company.
- Sourcing a US$70m debt finance facility for the refinancing of a fleet of OSVs for a listed Asia based oil and gas services support company.
- Advising a strategically important regional business in the maritime sector on the financial restructuring of a US$2,200m syndicated debt facility.
- Advising an international banking syndicate on the financial restructuring of a US$3,100m Shariah compliant facility to a strategically important regional listed company.
- Sourcing a US$100m alternative debt finance facility for the refinancing of a fleet of dry bulk carriers and MPP vessels for a UK based owner operator.
- Advising the Middle East division of a UK listed entity on the financial restructuring of a US$200m syndicated debt facility.
- Sourcing two US$25m alternative debt finance facilities for the refinancing of two MRs for a Middle East based owner operator.
My recent publications
News / Ince Consultancy Middle East hires joint Managing Director
The Ince Group’s newly established Middle East consulting practice, Ince Consultancy Middle East, is pleased to announce the arrival of Duncan Sawyer to the role of joint Managing Director. He will join Managing Director, Knut Mathiassen, as the co-lead for the consulting business based in Abu Dhabi.