In addition to his law degree, Jan has a degree in industrial engineering for maritime trade, is registered as a German lawyer with the Hamburg Bar Association and as a foreign lawyer in England and Wales. His clients, predominantly in the maritime sector, benefit greatly from the depth and breadth of his expertise.
Jan represents domestic and international banks, shipping companies, shipyards, ship and pool managers, owners, charterers, insurers as well as leasing, energy and investment companies.
Jan advises on matters relating to the shipping industry, including commercial vessels, yachts, containers, port facilities, port and ship equipment, oil rigs and off-shore equipment, as well as matters relating to the energy industry.
The scope of transactions he works on ranges from marine and energy-related M&A, joint ventures and off-shore set-ups, to asset deals, ship and corporate finance and leasing and chartering matters.
He also advises on debt, corporate and financial restructurings, marine and energy investment projects and various financial instruments for the shipping and energy industries. His expertise also covers shipbuilding and construction, ship sale and purchase, sale and leaseback and ship management matters, as well as workout and enforcement matters.
Jan is recognised by the leading legal directories for both shipping and banking.
Legal Directory Quote
The Legal 500
"SEHR PRAGMAT. U. MANDANTENORIENTIERT"
Professional associations & memberships
- Hamburg Bar Association
- Hamburg Anwalts Verein
"The Legal 500, JUVE Handbuch
- Advising HAPAG LLOYD on its financial restructuring
- Advising CCNI in the merger with HAMBURG SUED
- Advising various liner and shipping companies on M&A and joint ventures and financial restructurings
- Advising various international banks and syndicates on the financial restructuring of ship loans and fleet financings
- Advising private equity investors on the acquisition of shipping loan portfolios and ships
- Advising various banks on the workout and enforcement of loans