Department Maritime, Yachts and Superyachts, Insurance Qualified England and Wales 2005 Education (University) Bristol University, Master of Laws in Maritime Law (LLM), Grey College, University of Durham - History (B.A. Honours) Languages English
With over 15 years’ experience specialising in marine insurance law, Daniel is a Partner and head of the Maritime and Marine Insurance team in Bristol. Daniel is England and Wales qualified and mainly advises clients in the marine insurance sectors, in particular in the yacht and superyacht market.
Daniel advises a broad range of marine insurance claims including in collision and salvage claims (including claims arising from both professional and amateur racing incidents), theft and fraudulent claims, and defending marine professionals (such as surveyors, engineers and naval architects) and marinas.
In addition, Daniel acts on behalf of cargo owners and insurers in cargo/freight claims covering all aspects of carriage of goods by sea, air and road, and warehousing.
Daniel also has significant experience acting for non-marine insurers in complex property damage claims.
Professional associations & memberships
- Member of British Marine (sits on the Insurance, Financial & Legal Services committee)
- Member of Superyacht UK
- Associate Member of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association
- Affiliate Member of the Bristol Maritime Trade Association
- Associate Member of the Yacht Brokers, Designers & Surveyors Association
- Member of the Royal Yachting Association
- Royal National Lifeboat Institution Governor
My matter highlights
- Acting on behalf of 50+ yacht owners and their insurers following the destruction of a marine during the “Beast from the East” in 2018.
- Acting on behalf or racing yacht underwriters following damage to a carbon fibre mast whilst being transported by road.
- Advising on various policy coverage issues arising out of the Caribbean storms.
- Acting in GMAA Arbitration in Hamburg for underwriters of a superyacht damaged whilst being loaded on to a container ship in Dubai before being transported to Germany.
- Acting on behalf of insurers of 24 yachts blown off their cradles whilst stored onshore at a marina.
- Drafting pleasure vessel insurance wordings.
My testimonials and accolades
Chambers UK 2014
“Extremely competent lawyer who is capable of cutting out the noise and dealing with the issues of the case, providing accurate and timely advice.”
Chambers UK 2015
“Daniel Crockford is noted for his insurance litigation expertise in matters such as collision and salvage claims in the yacht and superyacht industry. Sources note that he has “great commercial judgement, and is hard-working and highly experienced.””
Chambers UK 2016
“Daniel Crockford has a particularly strong reputation for his insurance work in the leisure craft industry. He also represents cargo underwriters, and has established a loyal client following.”
Chambers UK 2018
“Daniel Crockford is “well known for his marine insurance work on behalf of yacht and superyacht industry clients. Market sources describe him as “highly flexible, commercially minded and charming,” adding: “Clients instantly warm to him and then stick with him. He fights hard but gives realistic advice.”
Chambers UK 2020
“Clients highlight Daniel Crockford's "pragmatic" approach and "efficient communication," while market sources commend his "responsiveness and speed of service." He is especially proficient in insurance mandates, advising a variety of clients including P&I clubs and owners.”
The Legal 500 2020
“Head of the Legal 500 Ranked team described as "a serious contender in shipping and yacht disputes"”
The Legal 500 - Shipping South West
“Daniel Crockford and Alex Penberthy are the most responsive, flexible and dedicated team in the market”
The Legal 500 2021
“Clients need go nowhere else: it is a one-stop shop for insurer clients.”