Department Maritime, Dispute Resolution, Trade & Commodities, Regulatory, Insurance Qualified Singapore, England & Wales Education (University) National University of Singapore Languages English, Mandarin, Cantonese
Boaz is a litigator qualified to practice law in both Singapore and England. He acts for clients in disputes before the Singapore courts and in arbitration under the auspices of SIAC, SCMA and LMAA.
Boaz specializes in maritime and shipping law, and handles both contentious and non-contentious shipping matters. He regularly acts for clients in contentious matters ranging from collisions and casualties, charterparty disputes, sale and carriage of goods, and marine insurance. He also assists clients in the course of negotiating contracts and in providing risk mitigation advice both before and during the implementation of projects.
Professional associations & memberships
The Law Society (England and Wales), The Law Society of Singapore and The Singapore Academy of Law
My matter highlights
- Advising a ship owner in recovering their vessel on a sale and lease-back scheme. Charterers had abandoned the vessel after incurring multiple liabilities. The vessel was arrested in Singapore and multiple claims, amounting to more than SGD 4 million, were made against the vessel. Applications for summary judgment by several claimants were successfully defeated.
- Defended a shipping company against multiple winding-up petitions. The winding-up petitions were struck out.
- Defended a freight forwarder against claims for negligent handling of cargo. The claims were settled.
- Advised a ship owner against charterers for claims under an amended NYPE Charterparty. The claims amounted to more than USD 500,000. The claims were governed by English law and referred for arbitration under LMAA Rules. An award for USD 488,362.97 was issued in the owners’ favour.
- Advised a ship owner in a dispute with charterers over Additional War Risk Insurance and Kidnap & Ransom Insurance premiums amounting to more than USD 333,000. The dispute was governed by English law and successfully arbitrated under LMAA Rules.
- Defended the seller of a vessel against claims by the buyer for misrepresentation and breach of contract. The dispute was governed by Singapore law and arbitrated under the SIAC. The buyer’s claims were dismissed and cost was awarded to the seller.
- Advising numerous banks in enforcing several mortgages on vessels.
My recent publications
Insights / ICLG - Singapore: Shipping Laws and Regulations
19-08-2020 / Maritime
Singapore covers common issues in shipping laws and regulations - including marine casualty, cargo claims, passenger claims, arrest and security - in 40 jurisdictions.