Department Maritime Education (University) LL.M., University of Southampton • LL.B. (Hons), University of London • PgDip Legal Practice, Staffordshire University • B.Sc. (Nautical Science), University of Mumbai Languages English, Hindi, Bengali
Binoy is an Extra-Master Mariner with extensive seagoing and onshore maritime and legal claims handling experience. He is a recognised expert in ice navigation and has broad experience in handling all types of marine casualty including collisions, groundings, pollution, salvage, fires, cargo damage, unsafe port and ice damage. Binoy regularly advises clients on both wet and dry shipping matters. He also has experience in P&I claim handling, FDD and admiralty disputes both in the Court and in arbitration.
Binoy has substantial knowledge and direct experience in relation to most ship types, in particular, dry bulk carrier, tankers, container ships and gas carriers. His previously roles include serving as Captain onboard an ice classed laker, a senior claims handler, and risk manager for an International Group P&I Club where he was the go-to in-house ice expert and risk assessor for ice tonnage entered with the Club. Binoy has written on a variety of ice-related topics and have been featured in international maritime publications.
Apart from marine casualty, Binoy has developed specialist knowledge of the Indian market based on his longstanding track record of working on India related matters. He has also garnered extensive professional contacts in India throughout his career and is well-known by all the major Indian shipping law firms and Club correspondents which bring considerable added value for clients. His recent involvement in India shipping matters includes a major collision/pollution (widely-published in local and international media), port damage claims, cargo related disputes and disputes arising under Ship Management agreement.
Binoy is fluent in English, Hindi and Bengali.
"I seek to understand the need of clients and tailor work accordingly, always taking account of the clients’ circumstances and exercising courtesy and respect when interacting on difficult issues."
Professional associations & memberships
- Member of the Maritime Law Association of Singapore
- Member of the Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration
What you may not know about Binoy
Binoy is an avid cyclist.
URLs to online publications
My matter highlights
- Investigating a multi ship collision in the Suez Canal, and advising clients on liability.
- Investigating following a collision (between a Tanker and a Bulk Carrier) in the Singapore Strait; advising shipowners and insurers on liability, collision jurisdiction agreement, cargo transhipment issues, claims and limitations.
- Investigating a collision between a VLGC and a Tanker off the east coast of India that caused significant pollution and widely-publicised in local and international media; advising shipowners and insurers on collision liability, quantum, pollution claim and limitation of liability.
- Investigating a multi ship collision in the Singapore Strait; advising clients on liability and claims.
- Investigating following a grounding of a cape size vessel in the Singapore Strait; advised owners and insurers on liability and GA issues.
- Investigating following main engine failure of a chemical tanker in typhoon off Taiwan; advised on liability, GA and transhipment issues.
- Investigating following a collision between a VLCC and a Chemical Tanker in Singapore Strait; advised clients on liability, quantum and issues related to loss of earning claim and time bar.
- Advising clients in relation to a matter involving multijurisdictional disputes for claims by a financing bank for misdelivery of various coal cargoes at Indian ports.
- Investigation in India in relation to a series of disputes involving misdelivery of cargo, bill of lading and letter of indemnity issues.
Unsafe port / ice damage
- Advising charterers in relation to a matter involving unsafe port claim allegedly due to structural damage of a vessel in an ice convoy
- Advising owners and their insurers in relation to a matter involving rudder and propeller damage of a vessel when beset in ice.
- Advising Owners in relation to a matter involving structural damage and ice accretion; delay due to loading of liquid cargo at very low temperature.
Ship Management disputes
- Acted on behalf of ship managers and their insurers in relation to a dispute, arising under ship management contract, leading to an international arbitration seated in Singapore.