Department Maritime, Corporate & Commercial, Finance, Regulatory, Licensing, Energy & Infrastructure Qualified Singapore; England & Wales Education (University) M.A., Lincoln College, Oxford; LLM Dalhousie University, Canada Languages English
Bill is Joint Managing Director of Incisive Law and heads its corporate practice. He has extensive Asia market experience, having practised as lawyer in Singapore since 1994.
He advises clients on a range of non-contentious maritime matters, in particular ship finance and rig and vessel construction contracts. He also advises on various banking issues including secured lending, syndicated loans, guarantees and trade finance documentation. Bill’s company/commercial advice to clients includes drafting memoranda and articles of association, joint venture, agency and distribution agreements, leasing agreements, share and asset sales, employment, capital market services licensing applications and other regulatory issues including insurance.
Bill has taught law at universities in England and Singapore and regularly lectures to various professional bodies. He has written extensively on property law and trusts and the fourth edition of his textbook on Singapore Land Law was published in 2010.
Professional associations & memberships
The Law Society of Singapore;and The Law Society of England and Wale
My matter highlights
- Advising Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation as lead arranger for the purchase of two LNG new buildings by SPVs owned by BW Pavilion (a joint venture between BW and Pavilion Energy), (Deal of the Year, 2016. Maritime Money: Project Finance).
- Advised Oro Negro as issuer of the largest high yield bond (US$725million) ever issued in the Norwegian market (Norwegian Bond Deal of the Year, 2015. Marine Money Offshore).
- Advised Singapore based Epic Shipping group on its refinancing and subsequent merger with Greek based Pantheon.
- Advising on a US$900 million bond issue restructuring.
- Special counsel for US trustee in bankruptcy relating to major international bankruptcy.
- Preparation of tender documents for Sentosa Cove Development.
My recent publications
News / Incisive Law ranked as one of Singapore’s Best Law Firms for Maritime Law
18-11-2020 / Maritime
Incisive Law LLC, the Singapore member of The Ince Group has been recognised as one of Singapore’s Best Law Firms for maritime law in a survey released by The Straits Times and global research firm Statista.
News / Incisive Law unveils new leadership appointments across practices in Singapore
27-10-2020 / Maritime
Incisive Law LLC, the Singapore member of The Ince Group, has today announced two new hires bolstering its regional admiral capabilities.
Insights / Singapore Legal Update - The Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act: An Overview
The Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act 2018, (Act No.40 of 2018, the “Act”) , which came into force on 30 July, marks, for now at least, the final stage in what has been a far-reaching overhaul of Singapore’s insolvency and debt restructuring regime.
Insights / Temporary Relief for Tenants in Singapore during the COVID-19 Pandemic – Part 1
17-07-2020 / Real Estate
It is impossible to exaggerate the significance of landlord and tenant law in Singapore. The steady accretion of land to ultimate Government ownership since the passing of the Land Acquisition Act in 1966 has inevitably reduced the amount of land held in fee simple.
News / The Ince Group strengthens Asia Pacific offer by strategic changes in Singapore
The consolidation of Ince & Co Singapore LLP with Incisive Law LLC on 1 June 2020, together with a number of senior lateral hires signals a bright future.