Expertise Wills, Estates, Tax and Trust knowledge Department Private Wealth Qualified England and Wales 1999 Education (University) University of Bristol, Bachelor of Laws (LLB) and University of Bristol, (Legal Practice Course) Languages English
Andrew is a Managing Associate in the Private Wealth team and is based in the firm’s central Bristol office. With over 20 years’ experience as a Private Client Solicitor, Andrew has extensive wills, estate, tax and trust knowledge and expertise.
Andrew specialises in the preparation of complex Wills and any associated Will trusts, together with relevant Inheritance Tax (IHT), Capital Gains Tax (CGT), succession planning and care fees planning advice. He also deals with the preparation of Lasting Powers of Attorney and Advance Directives. If a loved one has died, Andrew can provide you with a supportive service to assist with the estate’s administration, including post-death variations and associated IHT and CGT matters. A large proportion of Andrew’s clients are repeat and existing clients, for whom he has acted for more than a decade. Andrew also specialises in the creation and administration of trusts, including Life Interest Trusts, Discretionary Trusts, Vulnerable Person’s Trusts and Personal Injury (PI) Trusts. A PI Trust can safeguard your entitlement to means-tested benefits and local authority funding for long-term care, if you have received a compensation award following a personal injury or clinical negligence claim.
“I am committed to providing my clients with a personal, bespoke, commercially-focused service and with pragmatic advice in an increasingly competitive legal market.”
What you may not know about Andrew
In his spare time, Andrew enjoys reading, jazz and the music of the Great American Songbook, classic films, cooking and travel, with a passion for Italian Renaissance art, wine and food.
My matter highlights
- Advising on the creation of lifetime bare trusts and deeds of gift to mitigate the payment of IHT on the estate of a high net worth individual.
- Creating a Personal Injury Trust to safeguard an individual’s entitlement to means tested benefits following their personal injury claim, which resulted in a substantial compensation award.
- Drafting a Will to include the preparation of three life interest trusts for an individual seeking to balance his competing obligations towards his spouse and children from a previous marriage, whilst safeguarding a share of the estate for care fee funding purposes.
- Successfully claiming Business Property Relief and transferable IHT allowances for an estate with both UK and European assets.
- Drafting a Vulnerable Person’s Trust to manage the inheritance of a Vulnerable Person, via a Deed of Variation, thereby safeguarding their inheritance together with the associated tax advantages for their long-term future.
- Advising on the creation of a Discretionary trust to hold an investment property to mitigate the settlor’s IHT liability and claim hold-over relief for CGT purposes.