Akshay started his career with an IG Group Club prior to qualifying with another maritime firm in the city, where he practised for over ten years. He is renowned for his expertise in London maritime arbitration and commercial court litigation. He is often praised for his hands-on approach to delivering cost effective solutions for clients.
Akshay works closely with a broad range of clients including Ship Owners, Charterers, Ship Managers, P&I Clubs, brokers as well as with foreign lawyers. Akshay has extensive experience in dealing with multi-jurisdictional disputes and has experience in handling a wide portfolio of litigation matters such as challenging jurisdiction; applications to set aside freezing injunctions as well as challenges of arbitration awards brought under Section 67, 68 and 69 of the Arbitration Act 1996. Akshay has also travelled on assignment to negotiate the successful release of vessels detained by local authorities, settle claims with charterers and oversee transhipment contracts and exercises.
"I pride myself on being approachable, responsive, and commercially aware."
Professional associations & memberships
- Vice Chair of the Indian Maritime Association UK
- Member of the British Japanese Law Association
What you may not know about Akshay
In 2008 Akshay became the youngest Indian civilian to reach the North Pole as part of a four man team.
Akshay enjoys learning Japanese, but struggles with the Kanji script.
My matter highlights
- Put together a team of experts in West Africa and manage the successful release of numerous vessels for an Owner Client, through negotiations with the local authorities.
- Involved in a multi-million dollar oil dispute, where Akshay was sent on assignment to take statements from an overseas oil major and government officials that formed part of a Witness Statement lodged with the Commercial Courts in London and eventually led to a successful settlement for the client.
- Assist fixed premium P&I client in cases involving stowaways, death of crew members including master on board vessels and arrests made in relation to alleged oil spills.
- Travel and successfully negotiate the release of a vessel by arranging a locally endorsed Bank Guarantee and supervision of local lawyers in a sensitive jurisdiction.
- Assisting in preparing a team of lawyers including counsel in England, local lawyers in India and successfully applying for an English Freezing injunction which halted proceedings in Gujarat, India in favour of the clients.
My testimonials and accolades
“Akshay is very personable and easy to work with.”
“Akshay Misra is noted for his experience in shipping-related arbitration and insurance matters.”
“Akshay Misra consistently goes the extra mile to ensure that our needs and requirements are best served.”
“Associate Akshay Misra is also praised by clients.”