Zhao Rong Ooi
Zhao Rong is a seasoned commercial litigator with a wealth of experience in China and Asia, advising Chinese state-owned enterprises, listed and private companies in complex cross-border litigation and arbitrations in Hong Kong, Singapore, London as well as disputes involving BVI laws.
Zhao Rong’s diverse practice covers private wealth, financial services, offshore markets, technology and international trade. He advises listed and private companies, SOEs, financial institutions, funds, start-ups, UHNWIs, founders, directors and shareholders on complex, multi-jurisdictional and high value commercial disputes.
He is qualified to practise law in Hong Kong, Singapore, England & Wales and the British Virgin Islands. He is also a CEDR accredited mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), a full member (TEP) of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and panel member arbitrator of various arbitral institutions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- CEDR Accredited Mediator
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Full member (TEP), Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
- Deputy Head of Legal, Hong Kong Quality and Talent Migrants Association
(in chronological order of appointment)
- Panel of international arbitrators, Shanghai International Arbitration Center
- Member and panel arbitrator, Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration
- Member, The London Court of International Arbitration Users’ Council (Asia Pacific)
- Panel arbitrator, Beihai Asia International Arbitration Centre
- Panel arbitrator, Shanghai Arbitration Commission
- Mediator, Shenzhen Qianhai International Commercial Mediation Center
- Panel arbitrator, Asian International Arbitration Centre
- Panel arbitrator, BVI International Arbitration Centre
- Distinguished Panel arbitrator, Thailand Arbitration Center
- Panel arbitrator, Hainan International Arbitration Court
My matter highlights
Prior to joining Ince, Zhao Rong has advised on the following matters:
- Represented a Chinese brokerage firm before the Hong Kong High Court and the Hong Kong Court of Appeal in a claim relating to the sale of various vessels Reported judgment: Better Marine International Ltd vs Zhong Shan Co Ltd  HKCFI 2008; affirmed on appeal  HKCA 145
- Represented a shipowner in seeking injunctive relief from the Singaporean courts in aid of a foreign seated arbitration. Reported judgment: The "Capaz Duckling"  1 SLR 629
- Advised the majority directors (and shareholders) of a foreign-branded convenience store chain (market leader in the PRC) in resisting an application for the appointment of inspectors to examine the Company's affairs brought by the minority directors (and shareholders).
- Advised a Chinese multinational telecommunications equipment and systems company in a dispute against a foreign company in relation to the supply of telecommunication equipment
- Advised a Chinese electrical appliance manufacturer, which is a Shenzhen listed Fortune Global 500 company, in an SIAC arbitration against a Swedish home appliance manufacturer in a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement
- Advised the syndicated lenders in relation to the purchase of 15 vessels by a consortium for operations on the Yamal LNG project
- Advised a Chinese state-owned construction and engineering conglomerate in relation to a vessel mortgage under BVI laws
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise in relation to claims brought by foreign shipowners concerning the redelivery of vessels in an LMAA arbitration.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise in defending the largest unsafe port claim ever brought before the English High Court. Reported judgment: The "Ocean Victory"  EWHC 2199 (Comm)
- Advised a private equity fund in a dispute with one of its former limited partners concerning a limited partnership agreement
- Advised a company in a claim against a global bank in relation to a breach of the mortgagee's duties under a bridging loan facility. Reported judgment: Beckkett vs Deutsche Bank  SGHC 153
My recent publications
News / Ince China hires Zhao Rong Ooi as Partner to further grow its Greater China team
11 February 2020, Hong Kong: International legal and professional services firm Ince has today announced the appointment of Zhao Rong Ooi, a seasoned commercial litigator, as a new Partner in its Hong Kong office. This appointment highlights the firm’s commitment to further expand its dispute resolution practice across the region.