Peter heads up the firm’s operations in Gibraltar. His key areas of specialism are finance & technology, with a particular focus on TMT, gaming, e-money & payments, blockchain and cryptocurrency, commercial law and cross-border regulatory advice. He is dual-qualified in England & Wales and Gibraltar.
Peter has been involved in finance and technology since 2000 when he started his career at another leading international law firm in London. From 2013 to 2020, Peter was the CEO of the Gibraltar Betting and Gaming Association (GBGA), where he coordinated the industry on a wide range of issues, including regulatory, political and public relations matters.
Peter helped to establish the Gibraltar E-Money Association (GEMA) and has been acting as GEMA’s Secretary since 2012.
Recent articles on Markets in Crypto-assets:
- An overview of the EU Markets In Crypto Assets (MiCA) Regulation
- Impact on token offers and listings on trading platforms
- Impact on asset referenced tokens (including complex stablecoins)
- Regulation of Decentralised Finance (DeFi) in Europe | by Peter Howitt | The Tao of DA
“No assumptions, just solutions.”
Professional associations & memberships
- CEO of the Gibraltar Betting and Gaming Association
- Secretary of the Gibraltar E-Money Association
- Qualified English Solicitor
- Admitted to the Bar in Gibraltar
What you may not know about Peter
Peter is passionate about poetry, science, history, philosophy, economics, music and yoga.
My matter highlights
- Co-ordinating the GBGA and working with other key stakeholders as part of a group helping to create a centre of excellence for responsible gaming at the University of Gibraltar
- Advising clients on the applicability of MIFID to market making and liquidity services in the cryptocurrency sector
- Advising the Gibraltar Blockchain Exchange (part of the Gibraltar Stock Exchange Group) on the applicable REuropean, UK and Gibraltar law for stablecoins (digital tokens that are tethered to fiat or another underlying asset)
My testimonials and accolades
“Ranked as a European expert for Gambling Law and TMT.”
My recent publications
News / Lexology 'Getting The Deal Through': Fintech 2022
16-09-2021 / TMT
Insights / Getting The Deal Through - Fintech 2021
23-10-2020 / Gaming & Betting
See the latest edition of Lexology ‘Getting The Deal Through - Fintech 2021’, in which our industry experts, Peter Howitt, David Borge and Kunal Budhrani, discuss the Fintech landscape and initiatives in Gibraltar.
Insights / VIP Schemes Deadline 31st October 2020 – Are you ready?
08-10-2020 / Gaming & Betting
From 31 October 2020 gambling operators in the UK must adhere to strict guidance relating to High Value Customer or “VIP” schemes.