Kay is rated as a top ranking Bristol lawyer in Chambers & Partners (2021 edition) representing clients with serious head and back injuries and families of fatally injured victims. Kay is repeatedly praised for her professional, yet empathetic, client service ensuring injured victims are better able to return to their careers, domestic and social lives.
Kay has particular expertise in product liability cases including successful claims against Dunlop and Ford. Kay has in-depth knowledge as to the effects of serious pain conditions such as CRPS but her main strength lies in recovering damages in difficult liability disputes, often taking on cases rejected by others. Kay has experience in an extremely wide range of accident circumstances as well as different types of injury and so is able to take on virtually any case based on her extensive experience and knowledge.
Professional associations and memberships
- Trustee for Headway Bristol
- Deputy Chairwoman and Trustee of the Friends of Bristol Eye Hospital
- Member of the Bristol Medico-Legal Society (and Past President and former Legal Secretary)
- Soon to be member of APIL
What you may not know about Kay
Kay has travelled extensively, having visited all the continents of the world save for Antarctica which she will visit in December 2021 (Covid-19 permitting). She has seen all the seven Wonders of the Modern World and as well as seeing the “Big 5” in Africa, has also seen mountain gorillas in Rwanda, whales in New Zealand, polar bears in Svalbard and tigers in India. When not travelling she collects contemporary Cornish artworks and is an avid theatre-goer and reader.
My matter highlights
- £17.5M awarded to a young man suffering catastrophic brain injury when a teenager when struck by a motorcyclist when he was crossing the road.
- £1.27M awarded to a 56 year old man suffering brain injury when hit by the wing mirror on a motor vehicle.
- £820,000 awarded for a car driver in a rear end collision causing jaw, shoulder and back injuries to a trainee GP, delaying her qualification. The client’s previous solicitors had failed to recognise the huge potential for the claim.
- £650,000 the amount for a young widower and his son bereaved due to a severe road traffic incident which also injured other family members.
- £500,000 for a women who developed CRPS following an injury at work.
- £450,000 for a mother whose husband was killed when a defective tractor rolled over him whilst he was working on it.
- £325,000 for a trainee surgeon who suffered a suffer knee injury during a charity netball match due to rough play by the opposing team.
- £318,224 for the widower and family of a semi-retired women in her late 50s fatally injured in a road traffic incident.
- £135,000 for whiplash and psychological trauma caused to a passenger in a motor vehicle that was struck in the rear by a lorry. Previous solicitors had advised acceptance of an offer of £35,000 but following transfer to Kay the full value of the claim was recognised.
My testimonials and accolades
“I really can't tell you how truly grateful I am. I never imagines I would have been awarded the amount of money I received. Many, many thanks. I will certainly be recommending Metcalfes and in particular, you. ”
“Your help has been invaluable, and I would like you to know how truly I appreciate all of your work on my behalf. Your kind, sympathetic yet professional approach has made this difficult journey tolerable, and ultimately very successful.”
“Thank you so much for your fantastic work on my case over the past three and a half years - you have been amazing. It was a fantastic outcome which I never thought I would get.”
“You've been the ultimate wonder woman, both professionally and on a personal supportive level and its all been hugely appreciated.”
“Thank you for securing me such a good settlement. Having that cushion of money in the bank is a huge relief. Your calm, friendly professionalism has meant a lot. Without you, it would be very easy to walk away from the claim, and the mental toll mustn't be underestimated. I feel I have found a friend as well as a superb lawyer!”
The Legal 500
“Kay McCluskey has a wonderful personal touch, as well as the professional aspect; she really cares about the individual and will do anything to get justice.”
Chambers and Partners
“Kay McCluskey is adroit in undertaking workplace accident cases and RTAs, including acting for young adults. Her practice also covers brain and psychological injuries. Commentators describe her as 'extremely assiduous on behalf of her clients.'”
My recent publications
Insights / Metcalfes’ Personal Injury Team Recognised in Chambers & Partners UK 2019 Edition
Metcalfe’s personal injury team have once again been ranked in the independent legal research directory, Chambers and Partners UK.