Frances is a Managing Associate based at our Bristol office who has over 20 years’ experience as a Claimant medical negligence solicitor. She is a longstanding member of the Action against Medical Accidents (AVMA) specialist panel and a Law Society accredited medical negligence specialist.
Frances deals with a range of complex, high value claims: birth injuries (for mother and baby), injuries and death due to sepsis and complications of surgery, and claims arising from late diagnosis of cancer. Her caseload includes fatal claims and she represents clients at inquest. In her spare time she is Chair of the Board of Trustees for Cerebral Palsy Plus, a charity working with those affected by CP to support them to live as independently as they wish.
"I see my job as working with top experts and barristers to achieve the best possible results, while providing my clients with all the advice and support they need."
My matter highlights
- Settlement of a claim for a young man with Cerebral Palsy resulting from delayed response to uterine rupture while his mother was in labour in hospital. The claim settled shortly before trial for a lump sum and annual payments equivalent to £13 million.
- A seven figure settlement for a client who suffered severe neurological injury as a result of failure to recognise signs of developing sepsis after the birth of her third child, described by leading counsel as one of the most complex and challenging cases of his career.
- Negotiating a six figure settlement for a young woman for late diagnosis and treatment of a vocal cord tumour, resulting in progression of cancer, the need for multiple surgeries and a permanent tracheostomy, which had a profound impact on her daily life and career.
- A six figure settlement for a double amputee who was fortunate to survive rupture of an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, emergency surgeries, severe sepsis and organ failure. The claim was against a former GP who had failed to follow up the incidental finding of the AAA on MRI scan five years earlier.
- Securing damages in six figures for a client whose wife’s breast cancer would have been treatable if abnormal mammograms had been correctly reported and acted upon.
- Settlement of a claim for an elderly client who sustained an unstable cervical fracture in a fall which remained undiagnosed until six days after his hospital admission. As a result of failure to stabilise the spine he suffered nerve damage leaving his right (dominant) arm weak and functionally useless. The claim concluded without the need to start court proceedings, following disclosure of evidence and the Defendant’s acceptance of our settlement offer.
- Settlement of a claim at Mediation for delayed diagnosis of bladder injury at hysterectomy, resulting in permanent urinary problems, and preventing the client from continuing in her chosen career.
- Settlement of a fatal claim at Mediation, despite the Defendant Trust denying liability for the failure to recall the Deceased for regular surveillance mammograms, although she was known to be at high risk of breast cancer.
- Achieving damages for a client who underwent an unnecessary operation to remove a surgical plate in her arm. She suffered a non-negligent complication during surgery and was left with a permanent deformity and limitation of movement of the wrist.
- Securing admission of liability for a client who underwent unnecessary surgery to remove part of his jaw bone, after a negligent report that his tonsil/tongue base cancer had spread to involve bone. Interim damages have been paid and the case will go to a quantum only trial in 2022.
My testimonials and accolades
“The settlement has made such a terrific difference to my life, enabling me to be productive and giving back to society whilst ensuring I have an excellent quality of life……A continuing heartfelt thank you for all you have done.”