Piyush Gupta Head of Aviation & Competition and India practices
India Enacts New Consumer Protection Legislation
India has enacted a new consumer protection law replacing the more than three decades old Consumer Protection Act, 1986. The New Consumer Protection Act, 2019 (‘Act’) came into force on 20 July 2020.
Some of the salient features of the Act are:
- setting up a Central Consumer Protection Authority;
- introducing a simplified dispute resolution process;
- procedure re e-filing of cases;
- specific rules for class action suits dealing with product liability;
- specific rules dealing with e-commerce and electronic retailers;
- strict penalties, including jail term.
Please click here to view the rest of the article.