Specific duties & responsibilities
The successful candidate will be working on a wide range of matters of shipping and commercial law with an emphasis on ship finance, dry shipping, international trade, insurance, and commercial litigation, and also providing service of professional support to all fee-earners within the Shanghai office in relation to the following:
- Drafting, and/or basic legal review of documents.
- Preparation, collation, and cross-referencing of documents.
- Conducting legal research and preparing internal legal memos.
- Translation of documents from English to Chinese or vice versa.
- Proof reading.
- Assisting in preparation of pitches, quotation proposals, etc.
- Participating in business generation activities including seminars, client meetings.
Essential skills, qualifications and experience
- Excellent legal sense/understanding in commercial law, preferably with experience in finance transactions and/or areas of shipping, insurance, international trade, and commercial litigation.
- LLB or above, LLM in Hong Kong, or a British university is preferred.
- Good drafting skills where case handling correspondence is required.
- Fluent in both written and spoken Chinese and English.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, team player working in an international environment.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational, time-management, and prioritisation skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and multi-task between projects.
- Good electronic and Microsoft Office skills.
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills.
- High levels of professionalism, confidentiality, and discretion in the handling of all client relationships both internal and external.
- Good timekeeping, personable, friendly, and approachable disposition.